Thursday 12 September 2013

What does today’s music say about you?



I have been searching, listening, re-listening, and disengaging in various musical genres since I can remember. Does that make me a master of music, um- no. Am I still going to stereotype different musical interests on a person- YES!

Let’s begin with country:

If you like this music, you are lost to me…forever. “Why”, you might be asking- “country music is the best in the world”? I don’t know, person who clearly is not a musical genius. Can you remember the last time country music has given you something new? Let me give it to you this way, if I wanted to hear about your great-grandma’s cheating ex cousin’s rockin’ chair, way way out in tha’ chattahoochie…I’d ask you about it. Currently, however, I do not care. Swift love and Urban living is not for me.

So how bout some classic rock:

This continues to be a confusing genre. One person’s classic rock is another person’s metal band. Let me explain… Are we saluting rock n’ roll, ridin’ hot on the surf music, or stuck ‘in-between years.’ Of course some people contemplate the ole british invasion, garage interpretation, pop-blues-folk, psychedelic persuasion. So who are we in this category, Soft, hard, early heavy? What class of music dedifferentiates from our origins, our golden age lyrics, the progressive strumming of chords- or even our ‘new’ wave punk? I guess my question is, how old does it have to be before it’s considered classic?

Lost on confusion, how bout some indie:

‘Indie’ music, for purpose of clarification, is considered music produced independently from a major commercial record label. So WHAM- you own a drum, got a tape player…get on wit’cho bad self. You an’ indie music star! That being said, thank God for youtube and spotify (among others). We wouldn’t know who you are otherwise! A million wanna-be-bands later… I’ve discovered that all music meshes into one sound. So you better be ahead of the game.

There are a trillion other musical interests out their… EDM, Classical, Popular, Reggae, Latin, Religious, Orchestral, etc… So what are you’re thoughts? Got any stereotypes yet ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment